The cryptocurrency data aggregator CoinGecko added a new section on its website showing the top 48 crypto assets deemed securities by the US SEC.
The combined market capitalization of those digital currencies is currently over $91 billion, representing 7.5% of the whole $1.21 billion cap.
- CoinGecko introduced a new index that tracks the performance of some of the leading cryptocurrencies labeled as securities by the SEC.
- The largest digital asset on that list, with a market cap of over $37 billion, is Binance Coin (BNB) It is followed by Cardano (ADA), Solana (SOL), Tron (TRX), and Polygon (MATIC). Those five tokens account for over 75% of the entire market capitalization of the 48 coins included in the feature.
- CoinGecko’s new feature comes as a result of the war that the US SEC waged on two of the industry’s behemoths – Binance and Coinbase.
- The Commission filed lawsuits against the exchanges at the beginning of June, alleging them of violating several rules and offering trading services with unregistered securities.
- It is worth mentioning that the 48 cryptocurrencies included in CoinGecko’s index are not all of the assets which the agency has classified as securities over the years. Locke (LOCKE), Beaxy Token (BXY), Ducat (DUCAT), and Paragon (PRG) are some of the missing ones.
- The largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization – Bitcoin (BTC) – is also not on the list. The SEC’s Chairman – Gary Gensler – has previously claimed that this is the only digital asset that could be treated as a commodity.
Cardano Catalyst Project - Discover and Vote for our proposals in Fund 10 by Sep 14th, 2023 11:00 UTC
If you are you using your ADA to vote in Cardano’s Project Catalyst don’t forget to voice your vote. We would be excited if you can see, comment, share and vote for us. Our Proposals.VOTE FOR US!